I have grown a bit tired of the “standard” old word problems. There is so much data in the world today that the applications just jump out of the Internet. Thought I might share some of these, with the relevant topics, as I write them. These resources are shared freely and I ask only that you cite the source with CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 licensing and a link to these resources.
Abbreviated link to this page: http://bit.ly/ContempAlgebra
Each link below will take you to a viewable Google Doc.
- Make a copy of the Google Doc if you’d like to make alterations.
- If you want to assign to students via the web, you’ll want to include a link to your copy.
- I sometimes make small changes to the activities and these links will still be the same after the activity is altered.
Slope and Rate of Change
Equations of a Line
- Smart Home Market Research (using a table)
- Software Security Risks (using a graph)
- Linear vs Exponential: Visitors to Iceland
- Linear vs Exponential: Hotel Room Prices
- Linear vs Exponential: Worldwide VR Gaming
- Is it Exponential? Spotify Premium
- The App Gold Rush
- Amazon’s Workforce
- Tractica Agricultural Robots
- Applications of Exponential Functions
- Is it Exponential? Uber Drivers
- Streaming Music in the U.S.