Be able to discuss the following:
- Describe how social media intensified the United Airlines crisis.
- Explain how a company can learn from United Airlines and take proactive steps to change their image before a crisis takes place.
- Was there a “prodromal crisis stage” in the United Airlines crisis? Explain what could have been done differently to avoid the crisis.
- United Airlines closed Gate 41 at Houston George Bush Airport on December 6, 2018, to honor George H. W. Bush on the day of his funeral. United Airlines posted their gate memorial on all their social media sites. What kind of CSR initiative was this for United Airlines?
- When other airlines began updating their own policies, were they engaging in crisis or issue management and what stage?
Watch the Videos
United Airlines passenger apparently dragged off flight after refusing to give up seat (April 9, 2017)
United takes a beating on social media (April 11, 2017)
United Airlines CEO issues an apology to the passenger dragged off plane (April 12, 2017)
After United debacle, other airlines rush to make policy changes (April 15, 2017)
Advice to United Airlines
How to prevent a United Airlines social crisis with your business
Public Relations Specialist Talks About United Airline’s PR Crisis (April 13, 2017)